Triumph Dining Ad

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Noblesse Oblige Award

In American English especially, the term noblesse oblige has also been applied more broadly to those who are capable of simple acts to help another, usually one who is less fortunate.
---------------------------------------------------


Why is it that whenever my mom - Clara of Coming Back to Life - sends me an award, I am off my game and undeserving?

Ok, Ok, this is only the second award she's given me. The first was the Lemonade Award: an award for being a positive person. She sent it to me on a day that I was totally sucking lemons instead of making lemonade.


The circumstances around this Noblesse Oblige award is no different. Check out what she wrote about me:
Lynne nominated 3 blogs for this award. I don't know if there is a required number or not. I'm only going to nominate one blog. She doesn't usually participate in memes and awards so she may not post that she has received it. But she certainly deserves it and I hope you'll go read her blog. She is Mikki at Here's What Let's Do. Mikki has Celiac Disease and much of her blog is devoted to helping others who have this problem find ways of coping with it. She also tells funny or serious stories of her life as wife, mother, and teacher.
But when she left me a comment, saying she'd understand if I didn't follow up and post the award, what did I do? I was happy that she'd relieved me of the commitment. Sure, I thought, I'll get around to it eventually (11 days later now), but I went to her page anyway and skimmed the post. Oh, nifty, I thought.

But I didn't READ the post. I didn't realize I was the ONLY winner. I was so self-centered that day, thinking about MY life, MY commitments, MY work problems... ME ME ME ME ME.

Why is it that we snub those we love? When I read the post again today - really read it this time - I realized that I have done my family a disservice. I have said, "Yeah, whatever," to my Mom when she did a nice thing for me. What kind words she poured out for me. What pride I see in those lines. And there I was, ignoring her attention.

I'm honored to have been chosen to receive this award. It represents a type of person that I DO strive to be.

Like the aid worker who travels the globe, but does nothing at home; like the Christian who is religious on a Sunday, but hateful at home; like the benefactor who supports children from overseas, but does not give to local foundations, I was so busy with being helpful, that I risked being harmful.

I hope, Mom, that you do not mind the 11 days of silence, because I AM grateful for the award, and touched that you would choose me to be the sole recipient. I am glad that you think that I am deserving of it.

---------------------------------------------------
The conditions for receiving the award:
  1. The Blogger manifests exemplary attitude, respecting the nuances that pervade different cultures and beliefs.
  2. The Blog contents inspire, strive to encourage, and offer solutions.
  3. There is a clear purpose at the Blog, one that fosters a better understanding of Social, Political, or Economic Views; the Arts, Culture, Sciences, or Beliefs.
  4. The Blog is refreshing and creative.
  5. The Blogger promotes friendship and positive thinking.
---------------------------------------------------

Here's the fun part: choosing who to send the award to next. I have decided to pass this award along to Beth of A Real Anti-Supermom. Her posts remind me so much of when my kids were little, and she keeps such a pleasant tone to her writing. I think that she deserves the award because she

(hehee - that last one I just really liked! I had to get it in there somewhere!)

So, go visit Beth! Check out her lovely, realistic, it's-ok-to-be-a-normal-mom-and-person-and-have-a-great-time-doing-it-oh-and-also-laugh-at-yourself-along-the-way blog. Oh, and Beth... Thanks. Your blog is the awesome.

---------------------------------------------------

Here are the rules:

  1. Create a Post with a mention and link to the person who presented the Noblesse Oblige Award.
  2. The Award Conditions must be displayed at the Post.
  3. Write a short article about what the Blog has thus far achieved – preferably citing one or more older Post to support.
  4. The Blogger must present the Noblesse Oblige Award in concurrence with the Award conditions.
  5. The Blogger must display the Award at any location at the Blog.

4 comments:

Anti-Supermom said...

Well this just made my morning. How wonderful of you to give this to me!

I don't feel very deserving of it this AM since I've had a very grumpy start - self employed taxes are no fun.

A BIG thanks for giving ME a smile.

Clara said...

I don't mind the delay at all. I'm glad you can see the pride and love in my words because I certainly overflow with them whenever the subject of you comes up. Now I'm off to check out Beth's blog!

IdaR said...

It does my heart good to see a mother and daughter who have such a good relationship.

missy said...

congrats on the award!!!
thanks for stopping by my blog!!!!
i would love to see a picture of your bullie!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin