Triumph Dining Ad

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Check your advertising demographics, please.

Dear Sport Court, Incorporated -

While cruising my Facebook profile - posting snarky comments on my friends' status updates, sending flair, harvesting crops on my virtual farm, and generally wasting time - your ad on the side caught my eye.

Now, as far as I've been able to tell, the Facebook ads are fairly controlled. They're matched to me, my profile, sometimes my friends, or our interests. That's fine! I've seen some interesting ads and visited some nifty websites.

How the heck did your ad end up on my Facebook?

"Bring the Game Home," reads your slogan.

"Ok," I think. "Why not?" So I click on the link, expecting to find a sporting goods website - bats, balls, hoops, nets, HOLY GOODNESS!!!!!

The page opens...

"Ooooooooooh."

You sell courts: backyard sports courts: basketball, volleyball, badminton, soccer, putting greens, batting cages, any combination of beautiful goodness I could possible imagine!

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" I think. "This MUST be a mistake - this must be a corporate site." But, no, this is a site for me - homeowner with yard.

Screech to a halt, please, Sport Court! How in the world did I end up in your demographic?! Just because I live in an expensive area doesn't mean I'm rich! Just because I own a house+yard combo doesn't mean I can afford your courts or have a place to put one! Just because I was talking with my husband about putting in a basketball hoop doesn't mean I...

Have you been spying on me?

I'm suspiciously eyeing that random unidentifiable hole in the back wall of my closet ... is that where you're hiding?

How did you know? Have you been hanging out with the Ministry of Privacy?

hmmmmmmm...

I remain, suspiciously yours,
- Mikki


PS. Perhaps you didn't hear? Most of us don't have money.

2 comments:

Shanda said...

I was so thinking you were going to stumble onto something so much less desirable! So glad it ended up only being a "Sport Court!" Makes you wonder doesn't it?!

Anonymous said...

Facebook does put some strange ads up.

I get a lot about wieght loss and diets - it starts to get to me after awhile.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin