Triumph Dining Ad

Friday, July 9, 2010

Memory Triggers

It never ceases to amaze me what triggers the most profound memories.

The smell of ancient, dusty wood or books, and I'm at my grandparents' lake house.
The coo of a mourning dove, and I can hear the water in the canal out front.
A typewriter makes me remember the feel of the carpet under my elbows as I read the "funny books" in Grandpa Hutchinson's den while he types.
The hot smell of popcorn kernels in a hot air popper makes me think of my dad.
The sound of distant Morse Code, and I recall my Uncle Chuck.
Lilacs make me think of my mother.
The smell of cobwebs and hot cement make me think of Grandpa Carley's workshop.
Mockingbirds make me think of my friend Jewell, and Spock makes me think of my friend Beth.
The ping of a well hit ball off a metal bat, and I can feel the reverb in my fingers.

What places you somewhere else, doing something else?

1 comment:

Secondary Roads said...

Split-pea soup makes me think of your grandma H, my mother. So do BLTs.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin