Triumph Dining Ad

Thursday, July 9, 2009

I think I'm in love with Bette Hagman

For those of you who don't know, Bette Hagman is one of THE people to buy a cookbook from if you have celiac disease. I have tried recipe after recipe from her book The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Food and I have loved them all.

Today she saved me from a world with no pie. Yes, that's right, pie. I love pie. I spent a couple of years finding and perfecting the perfect pie crust, and then -poof!- no more pie for me! So very very very sad was I.

But take a look at this.


Isn't it just gorgeous?!



This is my deep dish strawberry rhubarb pie with a gluten-free crust. The crust was easy to work with, flaky, crisp, soft, and practically perfect. It's just going to take a little tweaking, and I think it will be just as good, if not better than, my original, wheat-filled crust!

Buy the book. Buy it. Now.


Here's my strawberry rhubarb pie recipe for you:
4 cups rhubarb
3 cups strawberry
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup corn starch

Place in your favorite pie shell. Brush top with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.

Bake at 425 for 50 minutes. Put a cookie sheet on the rack below the pie to catch any drips. Loosely cover pie with foil part way through baking to keep crust from burning.

4 comments:

vanilla said...

So what about the crust? I'm curious as to how you produced such a beautiful (I'm salivating) pie without wheat.

Enjoy the 'fruits' of your labors!

Mikki Black said...

Well, I'm pretty sure that's a copyright infringement to put the whole recipe down, but it's equal parts rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato starch in place of the wheat flour.

Clara said...

I'm so happy that you found a good pie crust! I was thinking about your pie a few days ago. I said my mom made the best pie crust in the world until you started baking. And you leave her in the dust! And that pie is making me salivate, too. I LOVE rhubarb pie!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mikki,
Thank-you for stopping by my blog.
You have a cute website here.
That pie looks so good, I want some.
My Grandma Ruth always mad Strawberry Rhubarb Pie and Jam when I was growing up.
The Namaste Pizza Crust Mix was really good. When I spread it out on the pan, it looked really thin. When I took it out of the oven it rose to about an 1/2 inch. I was so surprized it rose that much. After I put all the toppings on and baked it somemore it sank back down some. It was light and flaky. You would like it.
Take Care and I hope to talk with you again sometime.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin