Triumph Dining Ad

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Caprese

Ok, so I forgot that this week was supposed to be an appetizer week! Grr. Well, here's a salad that I usually have as an appetizer. (Does that count?)

Check out Linda's blog carnival (What Can I Eat that's Gluten-Free) for the other appetizer recipes this week. She also just posted the August summary, in case you're looking for some variety.

------------------------
Caprese - a summer salad

Ingredients:
Fresh, vine-ripe tomatos, sliced, room-temperature
Fresh mozzarella, sliced
Fresh basil, torn into small pieces
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper

Optional ingredient: Balsamic vinegar (I always used to add this, but it is mostly an American addition, from what I've been told. I tried Caprese without, and it is better. The flavor balance changes dramatically. It's a very different dish if you add the vinegar.)
  1. Layer the tomato and mozzarella slices on a plate.
  2. Sprinkle with basil salt and pepper.
  3. When ready to serve, drizzle a little olive oil over the whole dish.
  4. If you're a vinegar person, you can sprinkle a little of the balsamic over the plate as well, but just before serving. The vinegar combined with the salt and tomatoes will turn everything mushy if left sitting.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing this, Mikki. Most people didn't have appetizer posts, so don't feel bad!

Jeanette said...

I think that sounds so good. I suck at cooking so I'm following you closely. LOL. Not like stalker close, but keep 'em coming.

Liz Wilkey (a.k.a. A Mom on Spin) said...

I never tried it without the balsamic. I'm sure you're right!

Sandy said...

One of my favorite salads! Nothing better than picking a tomato & basil from my garden for dinner. And I can tell you that in Italy they don't add the balsamic but make it available. So maybe that is true that it's an American addition.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin